YOU ARE WELCOME

Blogger said I could "add some words to your blog - like a welcome message - with our rich text editor". I complied.

PS. I am just going to tell you right now. I do not proofread this stuff. You get it as I think it.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

BEDA Day 25: Life is like that.

I am drink diet root beer out of a purple Kaplan University cup. I remember getting this cup. I was walking through a part of campus that is now shut down for construction. It came with free pizza with the exchange of an email address for solicitations. A cup and free pizza in exchange for permission to solicit. Sometimes life is like that. But now I have diet root beer on ice in a cup that no one can see through to judge me for drinking soda and not water at this hour. It occurs to me that this cup is designed specifically for that purpose. To hide what a person is drinking. Alcohol. Or the premise of it.

I picked a house today. I picked a big, beat up, creepy house full of messy awkward nerds my age over a small, nice, well maintained, uncomfortably intimate house full of older, more responsible people. Did I make the right choice? I dunno. I think one of my main motivational factors was to pick a place that I would not mind bringing friends to. I wanted a house that felt as little like my parents as possible. So I picked a house that felt like it was in the thick of things rather than a house that felt a bit out of the way. In exchange for that I sacrificed cleanliness and aesthetic pleasure. Sometimes life is like that. But now I have a place to put my things that allows me to hide from the world as efficiently as possible.

I am unreasonably excited for school to start. Fall feels nice. It feels new. It feels exciting. And for once in my damned life I feel prepared for school to start. I feel like I will have myself together well enough to make a good, fresh start on my classes. Instead of starting out behind and never really catching up.

Did I tell you I am going to substitute teach when I go back to Wyoming for a couple weeks? Did I also tell you that I do not really like substitute teaching? I have to dress up nice and watch over kids all day in exchange for money and several hours of misery. Sometimes life is like that.

Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment